It's almost April, which means that it's the time of year to be doing a spring clean. We all know that it can be hard to get motivated enough to do it, so we've got a list with motivational tips, easier ways to clean and some ways to clear out what you don't need. These are tried and tested by other people, but not here at Forever Bespoke. So if they make a mess, it's definitely not our fault.
1. Open the windows – start your spring cleaning by getting some fresh air into your house. The nice breeze and smell of spring will motivate you to get up and go clean. Do it first thing in the morning to avoid falling into the trap of making excuses to do it another day.
2. Clean your microwave quickly – most people are guilty of not cleaning the microwave as often as they should. If you're one of those people, there is a quick, easy, and chemical free way to clean it. Just fill a microwavable bowl with water and put a few lemon slices in it, along with a splash of white vinegar. Microwave it for 3-5 minutes and then leave it in there (with the door shut) for another 5. The steam will loosen any mess and it can now be wiped off with a damp cloth.
3. Use shaving foam instead of glass cleaner – this is one for in the bathroom. Use a bit of shaving foam instead of glass cleaner on your mirrors and shower door. It will leave them streak free and will stop them from fogging up when you use the shower.
4. Put cola down the toilet – while you're in the bathroom, pour a 2 litre bottle of cola down the toilet and leave it for at least an hour. Once you flush the toilet later, it should be sparkly clean without any effort on your part.
5. Put some music on – TV can be too distracting while you're trying to tidy up, so put some music on instead. You can still dance and sing while cleaning, so you won't get bored and might even have some fun!
6. De-clutter your clothes – go through the checklist as you tidy your wardrobe: have you worn it in the past 6 months, is it in good condition, and would you still buy it now. If the answer is no to any of those questions, get rid!
7. Get new storage – cleaning and tidying always feels better when it looks good afterwards. If you have lots of bits and pieces that you want to keep, but don't belong anywhere, get some nice looking boxes to store them in. This means that you can still optimise shelf space, but have it looking a lot more organised.
8. Clear out the fridge – this one is best done before you go on the weekly shop. Take everything out of your fridge, clean the shelves and then work on putting it all back in. Bin anything that's past its use by date, or that you have doubles of. Re-organise the food in to categories, so that it's easy to see what you already have and need to use up.
9. Sort out your make-up – when was the last time you washed your make-up bag? If you can't remember, now is probably a good time to do it. Go through all your products and chuck any that are out of date. Some will have a date printed on them, but others go by when you first opened the product. Click here for a good list on how long to keep your make-up.
10. Invite friends round – if you're still lacking in motivation to clean, invite some friends to come round in a few days. That way, you've got no choice but to do it!
Melissa (Forever Bespoke Marketing Team)